Apply Today

If you are looking for a rewarding career
in online therapy apply today!

APPLY NOW

Sign Up For a Demo Today

Does your school need
Online Therapy Services

SIGN UP

The Impact of Telehealth ABA Treatment During COVID-19: Enhancing Practitioner Skills

The Impact of Telehealth ABA Treatment During COVID-19: Enhancing Practitioner Skills
The COVID-19 pandemic has catalyzed significant changes in the delivery of healthcare services, particularly in the realm of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) treatment for individuals with autism. A recent study titled "The effects of transition to technician-delivered telehealth ABA treatment during the COVID-19 crisis: A preliminary analysis" (Pollard et al., 2021) offers valuable insights into the efficacy of telehealth services. This blog aims to help practitioners enhance their skills by implementing the outcomes of this research or encouraging further exploration.

Understanding the Research

The study by Pollard et al. (2021) evaluated the transition from in-person ABA treatment to technician-delivered telehealth services during the COVID-19 pandemic. The sample consisted of 17 cases, with 76% of participants receiving technician-delivered telehealth services, while the remaining 24% transitioned to a caregiver-implemented telehealth model.

Key Findings

The research presented several noteworthy outcomes:

Implementing Research Outcomes in Practice

Practitioners can leverage these findings to improve their service delivery models and ensure continuity of care for their clients. Here are some actionable steps:

1. Embrace Telehealth as a Viable Option

The research underscores the potential of telehealth services to maintain, and even enhance, treatment efficacy. Practitioners should consider integrating telehealth into their service offerings, particularly during times of crisis or for clients who may benefit from remote services.

2. Training and Supervision

To ensure the success of technician-delivered telehealth services, it is crucial to provide comprehensive training and supervision. This includes:

3. Monitor and Evaluate Outcomes

Continuous monitoring and evaluation are essential to gauge the effectiveness of telehealth services. Practitioners should:

4. Engage Caregivers

Involving caregivers in the treatment process can enhance the efficacy of telehealth services. Practitioners should:

Encouraging Further Research

While the preliminary findings are promising, further research is needed to validate and expand upon these results. Practitioners are encouraged to:

Conclusion

The transition to telehealth services during the COVID-19 pandemic has demonstrated the potential for remote ABA treatment to maintain and even improve client outcomes. By embracing telehealth, providing adequate training and supervision, monitoring outcomes, and engaging caregivers, practitioners can enhance their service delivery models. Furthermore, continued research is essential to validate these findings and explore new avenues for telehealth services.To read the original research paper, please follow this link: The effects of transition to technician-delivered telehealth ABA treatment during the COVID-19 crisis: A preliminary analysis.

Citation: Pollard, J. S., LeBlanc, L. A., Griffin, C. A., & Baker, J. M. (2021). The effects of transition to technician-delivered telehealth ABA treatment during the COVID-19 crisis: A preliminary analysis. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 54(1), 87-102. https://doi.org/10.1002/jaba.803

Apply Today

If you are looking for a rewarding career
in online therapy apply today!

APPLY NOW

Sign Up For a Demo Today

Does your school need
Online Therapy Services

SIGN UP

Apply Today

If you are looking for a rewarding career
in online therapy apply today!

APPLY NOW

Sign Up For a Demo Today

Does your school need
Online Therapy Services

SIGN UP