I know that my students are super stars and that my job is to help them shine and sparkle. The success of my home/school practice program has enabled children to advance more quickly through their goals and towards their full potential. The program has increased my effectiveness as their speech-language pathologist! Consider the following suggestions for implementing a practice program for your students:
S.T.A.R. QUALITIES of a SUCCESSFUL PRACTICE PROGRAM
S SUCCESS DRIVEN
- Provide activities that the child can complete with more success than struggles.
- Next, consider a “skill level +1” approach: Offer an activity that is one small step above the student’s emerging skill. i.e.) The sound “S” is emerging at a word level…let’s try adding the word MY before each target word: MY sock, MY soup, MY soap!
- Provide a program that is accessible and doable…one that makes sense for this student.
T TRAINING EXPERTS
- Ultimately, your student will become the EXPERT with the target skill. Informed, your student can teach the skill to someone else!
- Quote from my student on making the L sound: “I wift up my tongue tip and put it on the bump. Then I turn on my voice wike this… “LLLL!” … He is the expert at his level.
A ACCOUNTABILITY AND CELEBRATION
- You care that your student participates in the program.
- You assign your student to the role of Program Leader and expect him or her to rise to the occasion by regularly participating.
- You celebrate your student for a job well done.
R RELIABLE, SKILLED FACILITATOR
- Assign a committed and enthusiastic person to ensure the child accesses the program and feels successful.
SCHOOL-BASED SLPs! TinyEYE offers you access to your own online home practice program!
Provide your students and assistants with interactive practice activities to encourage practice, heighten engagement, and accelerate progress.
Follow this link to receive your password: http://www.tinyeye.com/TinyEYE-Virtual-Homework/Free-Online-Speech-Therapy-Homework-For-SLPs.php
Parents, you can access a practice Backpack for your child, too. Follow the link! http://www.tinyeye.com/Summer-Speech-Therapy-With-TinyEYE/How-Summer-Online-Speech-Therapy-Can-Benefit-Your-Child.php
Marnee Brick, MSc
Speech-Language Pathologist and Director of Speech Therapy
TinyEYE Therapy Services (Speech Therapy Telepractice)
Growing smiles, mending spirits, engaging children in their lives